Thursday, May 20, 2010

Nike's Write The Future ad - Spot on!


The 2010 World Cup is just 20 days away, and I don’t think I’m alone in saying that I’m already super pumped. The Score will be airing a daily show at 10 PM ET for all 32 days of the World Cup – even on the off days – and I’ll be working on it. All of us involved are pretty excited to get it going.

To add to the overall excitement, Nike’s "Write The Future" World Cup spot was released this week. I think even the biggest haters of soccer – and believe me, there’s lots here in North America – can’t help but agree with the rest of us that this ad is fantastic. I’m going as far as to say it’s one of the best ads ever produced.

Ads are, of course, designed to make you feel a certain way all the while linking you to whatever is being endorsed. With all the emotions attached to a global event like the World Cup, Nike has brilliantly captured them in their 3 minute ad.

The ad – directed by Oscar-nominated director Alejandro G. Inarritu – is so powerful because of the vast budget that clearly went into it. They’ve got their big World Cup stars (and their non-World Cup stars in Ronaldinho), and other cultural icons like Kobe Bryant, Roger Federer and Homer Simpson. All of it is money well spent because the end result is nothing short of amazing. In the saturated world we live in, seldom am I so moved by an advertisement anymore.

Emotions conveyed are wide-ranging: From the thrills of victory to the bitter, ever-lasting sting of defeat. It shows the glory of the players to the jubilation of the fans, all in appropriate settings. And, refreshingly, the whole thing doesn’t need sex to sell it. It’s all in all a pretty pure look into what evokes emotion at the World Cup.

Lastly, let’s not forget this is, of course, a Nike ad. The swoosh is everywhere, as subliminal as ever. But the ad is clever in showing England’s kits – which are manufactured by Umbro. So in the back of your head, you’re thinking it’s not all about Nike. It’s about the love of the game. But not everyone will be smart enough to know that Nike in fact owns Umbro and has since 2007. I know I wasn’t until I looked into it!

That’s enough from me, now go watch the ad and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. The ad is sick. Goes off on a bit of a tangent with the Rooney stuff though...

    ReplyDelete